Sabudana Benefits in English:- Sabudana, the tiny translucent globules that are extracted from tapioca are common features across Indian regional cuisines. Sabudana is produced from the cassava plant. The cassava plant has either red or green branches with blue spindles on them. The root of the green-branched variant requires treatment to remove linamarin, a cyanogenic glycoside occurring naturally in the plant, which otherwise may be converted into cyanide.
Cassava is native to South America, whereon it spread to other parts of the globe. In North-East Brazil it is known only as cassava. But in the world, it is also known by other names like Sago. The root of this plant is about 1-2 kg and it is brown. Its pulp is rich in white color and carbohydrate. In Hindi, it is known as Sabudana. It is believed to introduce in India by the Portuguese. It also is known as sago, traditionally sabudana was obtained by extracting and filtering the starch/ milk from the roots, which was shaped into globules/ pearls.
Tapioca is considered to be a juicy plant. It is a member of the Euphorbiaceae family, and its scientific name is Manihot esculenta. In India, sago balls are mostly used to make papad, kheer, and khichdi. It is also used to make soup and other things too thick. Sabudana is a favorite breakfast and evening snack option in Indian households.
Sabudana Khichadi, Sabudana Pakoda or Sabudana Kheer are served at Indian dinner tables quite often. It is a good source of protein, which helps with muscle building, healing, and strengthening. So mostly vegetarians, turn so sabudana for your daily protein intake. It is rich in iron and calcium, which helps to maintain bone health. Loaded with carbohydrate, tapioca will make you feel energetic in a matter of minutes.
Benefits of Sabudana
- Regular consumption of sabudana keeps blood pressure levels under control. Also, the potassium present in it aids healthy blood flow and lowers the pressure on the cardiovascular system.
- Sabudana is a healthy weight gain food. So, if you’re skinny and wish to gain weight naturally, add tapioca to your diet.
- Rich in folic acid and Vitamin B, tapioca helps prevent fetal birth defects and improves the development of your unborn baby.
- Tapioca prevents gas, indigestion and constipation problems and is good for your metabolism and digestive system.
- It can be used as a weight gain diet– Sabudana is used by skinny people to gain weight diet. It is a source of carbohydrate, so people who suffer from the certain disorder can prefer it.
- It is good for muscle development– Tapioca is rich in proteins. This is one of the health benefits of sabudana. It is a good idea to make it your main protein source as it is surely much cheaper than your supplements.
- It contains potassium– It contains potassium which plays an important role in controlling blood circulation and blood pressure. It is also good for the cardiovascular system.
- Sabudana is good for bones– Tapioca is rich in calcium too. It also contains vitamin K and iron. So, sabudana is good for you bones.
- It boosts your energy level- Eating sabudana in breakfast helps to maintain good energy level throughout the day. It is a good source of carbohydrate.
- Loaded with calcium– Sabudana is made from tapioca root that is loaded with calcium, iron, potassium, and vitamin K which are the keep minerals that are responsible for healthy bone growth and development, which is crucial for babies. It can also come useful in providing calcium to toddlers who have stopped breastfeeding or those who do not like to have milk.
- Increase muscle growth– If you one of person that does not like the vegetarian food, you should consume sabudana as a protein source. One of the health benefits of sabudana is due to be shed for the protein. Besides cheap in cost, sabudana also has a good flavor and delicious as well as worth to try.
- Controlling high blood pressure– Consuming sabudana will increase blood flow to all the parts of the body very smoothly. It will make the blood vessels widen so the blood pressure can stay away.
- Tapioca is quite poisonous in nature. So, if you do not cook properly. If not, it can lead to the cyanide poisoning. Some of the symptoms of cyanide poisoning are dizziness and headaches.
- Tapioca can also cause allergic reactions if you consume in a large dose. It better to get a doctor advice before eating too much.
- Tapioca also tends to elicit an allergic response in people with latex allergies, so if you’re sensitive to the natural rubber it may be smart to speak with your doctor about any possible risks.
Sago or Sabudana is full of energy and minerals. We have covered all sago health benefits and side effects. Include it in your daily diet to get all the benefits and stay healthy for your entire life.